AAUP at Rowan SOM
AAUP-BHSNJ @ Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine
New Faculty Contract
On March 19, 2019, we reached agreement with the administration on a new collective bargaining agreement. This was the result of a long arduous process that involved tough negotiations. We thank members of our bargaining team who worked hard to reach this result. We will start negotiations on the new contract immediately. We recognize that this process has to be reconfigured to be more productive. This is why we are making a series of changes to make sure we receive a timely contract that address our issues.
The highlights of the current agreement include the following:
● All faculty who were on payroll as of March 19, 2019 shall receive a 2% across the board increase to base salary effective the first full period after July 1, 2017 (retroactive pay)
● All faculty who were on payroll as of June 30, 2018 shall receive a 2% across the board increase to base salary effective the first full period after July 1, 2018 (retroactive pay)
● We preserved the 22 sick days per year faculty currently enjoy. (At the last moment, Rowan attempted to cut these days by half and a place caps on usage of existing days.)
● Prior to agreement, we increased the pay of librarians. Unfortunately, it is still not in line with their Rowan colleagues. However, we will be pursuing a grievance to close the gap completely.
● We updated the Patent policy for our Rowan research faculty. Inventors can receive up between 30-50% of net revenues. There is still much work to be done in the next round of bargaining that includes:
● Banning “at-will” employment from qualified appointments and creating a fair and consistent reappointment process. This will give faculty more job security.
● Ensure the SOM pay is competitive with other osteopathic medical schools and make improvements to the clinical incentive plan.
● Lowering the cost of health insurance
● Abolishing parking fees
If you would like to help us achieve these goals, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not yet a Voting member of the AAUP-BHSNJ and would like to join, please contact email@example.com
The University continues to pay Rowan SOM less than their counterparts in other parts of the university. The AAUP-BHNSJ attempted unsuccessfully to informally resolve the issue with the university. As such, it has pursued a grievance on their behalf alleging mistakes with misclassification and illegal gender pay discrimination
“ AAUP-BHSNJ is the professional Bargaining Representative for more than 1,400 faculty members and librarians of the BHSNJ.
As of July 1, 2013, based on the integration of SOM with Rowan University and the integration of the remaining units of the former UMDNJ with Rutgers University (as per the New
Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act as of 2012) AAUP-UMDNJ became AAUP-BHSNJ.
Faculty and Librarians of the former UMDNJ at both Rutgers and Rowan (and those hired into units of the former UMDNJ) are now part of the Biomedical and Health Sciences of New Jersey American Association of University Professors unit, AAUP-BHSNJ.