AAUP FILES FOR INTERIM RELIEF AGAINST RUTGERS
The basis of our application is due to both the “Alignment MOA” that was presented to us with the “deadline” of December 31, 2014 and the e-mail the Chancellor Strom sent to you which was not entirely accurate.
It is our position that not only is this bad faith bargaining, but that the e-mail sent by the Chancellor is akin to coercion of you, our members, by directing you to contact the Union to accept this proposal by an arbitrary date or lose our right to negotiate the same.
Unlike a regular UPC, when we file for interim relief, it is anticipated that a hearing will be held within a short time. Our requested remedy is to have the PERC direct Rutgers to:
1. Cease threatening the AAUP to permanently withdraw its proposal on tuition remission;
2. Direct the school to continue to negotiate with us on tuition remission beyond 12/31/14;
3. Direct the school to withdraw proposals that are mandatory subjects of bargaining based on arbitrary dates in favor of true, good faith bargaining;
4. Direct the school to cease communicating with our membership in an attempt to coerce you into accepting a partial agreement which requires us to abandon the right to negotiate tuition remission and the A&P guidelines while we are negotiating for a complete agreement;
5. Direct the University to post notices that they violated the law.
I would like to thank Dr. Joe Holtzman for his time working with us on our Certification Document which includes the (long) history of negotiations through November 20th.
We will continue to update you as this matter goes forward.
In unity there is strength.
“ AAUP-BHSNJ is the professional Bargaining Representative for more than 1,400 faculty members and librarians of the BHSNJ.
As of July 1, 2013, based on the integration of SOM with Rowan University and the integration of the remaining units of the former UMDNJ with Rutgers University (as per the New
Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act as of 2012) AAUP-UMDNJ became AAUP-BHSNJ.
Faculty and Librarians of the former UMDNJ at both Rutgers and Rowan (and those hired into units of the former UMDNJ) are now part of the Biomedical and Health Sciences of New Jersey American Association of University Professors unit, AAUP-BHSNJ.