SCHOOL OF NURSING FACULTY UNIT MEMBERS
A. Faculty Contracts
- Faculty unit members will normally be appointed on either an academic year or a calendar year basis. Academic year appointments are for 10 months, normally between August 15 and June 15. Academic year appointments provide for salary payments to be spread out over 12 months. Calendar year appointments are for 12 months.
- In cases where faculty unit members' contracts are not renewed due to program suspension or decrease in enrollment, if the need for faculty unit members in these areas of competence should arise, the University shall give due consideration to these faculty unit members for rehire.
B. Faculty Effort
- Faculty at the School of Nursing have either a ten (10) month or twelve (12) month appointment, based on the needs of the program and the School.
- The academic year for twelve (12) month faculty unit members shall begin on July 1st; the academic year for ten (10) month faculty unit members shall begin on August 15th.
- Faculty unit members with ten (10) month academic appointments shall be responsible for twenty-four (24) teacher contact hours (TCHs), as defined below, over the academic year. Faculty unit members with twelve (12) month academic appointments shall be responsible for thirty (30) TCHs over the calendar year.
- Faculty effort shall be negotiated between the School of Nursing administration and the faculty unit member, based on the needs of the academic program, prior to the start of the academic year. Faculty effort shall include but not be limited to education, research and clinical practice as negotiated between the faculty unit member and the School of Nursing administration. For purposes of faculty effort, TCHs shall be defined as follows:
one hour of classroom teaching equals one TCH;
Online course enrollment will be limited to 20 students for a graduate course and 25 students for an undergraduate course; additional enrollment shall require the faculty unit member's prior agreement.
two hours of clinical practicum equals one TCH;
three hours of simulated patient laboratory equals one TCH;
three hours of faculty practice equals one TCH;
three hours of other professional effort equals one TCH;
for development of a new online course, one academic credit equals one TCH;
for teaching of an online course, one academic credit equals one TCH.
The faculty unit member may negotiate with the School of Nursing administration to accommodate an active program of research, which shall be reflected in faculty effort. Ad hoc activities relating to the mission of the School of Nursing shall be taken into account when faculty effort is negotiated.
- Faculty practice is an option, negotiated between the faculty unit member and the School of Nursing administration and shall be included in faculty effort negotiations. For faculty practice, three (3) weekly hours of such activity shall equal one (1) TCH. Faculty practice shall be governed by the Faculty Practice Plan approved by the Faculty Assembly on September 20, 2004, and this shall be part of, and deemed included in, this Agreement.
- Overage faculty effort will be compensated at the rate of $625 per academic credit for the duration of the contract period.
C. Tuition Reimbursement
- Faculty unit member(s) enrolled in terminal degree programs related to their areas of instruction or approved as such by the School of Nursing administration may receive tuition reimbursement at a rate of $300 per credit, or the actual tuition, whichever is less. Tuition reimbursement shall not exceed nine (9) credits per semester at the doctoral level.
- Faculty unit member(s) may also receive tuition reimbursement at the rate described above for graduate study related to their area(s) of instruction or approved by the School of Nursing administration that is not part of a terminal degree program. Such tuition reimbursement shall not exceed six (6) credits per semester and shall be limited to thirty-eight (38) reimbursable credits during the employment of the faculty unit member at the University.
- To receive reimbursement, the faculty unit member must submit a written request to the appropriate assistant dean. The assistant dean shall respond to the request within twenty (20) working days of the request. Reimbursement shall be subject to the availability of funds.
- To receive reimbursement, the faculty unit member must submit written proof of both tuition payment and satisfactory completion of course work to the assistant dean. To be eligible for tuition reimbursement, the faculty unit member must maintain the grade point average required for successful completion of his/her program of study.