UMDNJ-RWJMS | Chapter ByLaws
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS
RWJMS/SPH CHAPTER BYLAWS
Article I. MEMBERSHIP
A. The Robert Wood Johnson Medical School/School of Public Health (RWJMS/SPH) Chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) shall consist of members of the Biomedical and Health Sciences Council of AAUP Chapters of New Jersey
B. Representation Fee Payers
Article II. OFFICERS
A.The officers shall be a President, a Vice President, a Secretary and a Treasurer, elected from the membership in June of each year to hold office from September 1
following, for a period of one (1) year and shall also include the Past President. When it is not possible for the terms to begin on September 1st the incumbent officer’s terms will be extended until the election results are counted and verified. The President and Vice- President shall ordinarily not serve more than three (3) successive years and shall relinquish their office when their successors shall be elected and take office.
B.In case a vacancy should occur in the office of President, the Vice President shall assume that office. In case a vacancy should occur in the offices of
Article III. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
A.There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of the officers and eight (8) other members elected by secret ballot of the membership.
B.The members of the Executive Committee who are not officers of the Chapter shall serve for a term of two (2) years. To the extent possible, terms shall be staggered in such a manner that the terms of four (4) members shall expire annually.
C.Conduct of the Executive Committee:
1. The President, or in his or her absence, the Vice President, shall serve as Chairperson of the Executive Committee.
2. Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be held as needed from September through June, or upon request from three (3) members of the Executive Committee. If the President is unable for any reason to call such a meeting, a meeting may be called by the three (3) members requesting it with one (1) week's notice to the other members of the Executive Committee. A majority of the members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum. A member of the Executive Committee may cast his or her vote by written limited or unlimited proxy, but such proxies shall not be counted in determining whether a quorum exists. All actions of the Executive Committee shall be taken by an affirmative vote of a majority of the Executive Committee.
3. The Executive Committee shall direct the affairs of the Chapter, represent the Chapter in all matters of concern to the members and implement the mandate of the Chapter. The Executive Committee shall report their actions to the Chapter membership at least semi- annually (in meetings or in writing).
D. Executive Committee representatives to the Council
Two (2) or more Executive Committee members shall serve as representatives to the Council of AAUP Chapters, as follows:
Part 1: Beginning after the next Council election cycle (on or about October 1, 2013):
The RWJMS/SPH Chapter shall have at least two (2) representatives to the Council, who will ordinarily be the Chapter President and the immediate past Chapter President. Additional
Part 2: From amendment ratification through the next election cycle:
The representatives to the Council elected or appointed prior to April 15, 2013 under the
Article IV. STANDING COMMITTEES
A. The members of Standing Committees of the Chapter shall be established yearly by vote of the Executive Committee. A Committee on Nominations and Elections must be established each year. The Executive Committee may establish other Standing Committees as it deems necessary
B. The Executive Committee may establish such other special or ad hoc committees as it may deem necessary.
C.The chairpersons of committees shall be appointed by the Executive Committee, and the chairpersons in turn shall choose members of the committees subject to confirmation by the Executive Committee. The chairpersons and members of the standing committees shall serve for terms of one (1) year (or until replaced).
D.The Committee on Nominations and Elections shall ordinarily consist of a chairperson and three (3) other members. It shall prepare a slate of officers for the chapter and members of the chapter's Executive Committee for the annual election. The nominating committee shall strive to make the slate representative of the various divisions and interests of RWJMS and SPH.
E.Nomination of officers and members of the Executive Committee may also be made by petition signed by five (5) members.
F.It shall be the duty of Committee on Nominations and Elections to conduct all balloting necessary for the conduct of the business of the Chapter.
Article V. DUES
Annual dues shall be collected by dues deduction. A member shall be removed from membership if his or her dues are not paid and will pay representation fees as specified in Article I. Only members whose dues are paid in full shall be eligible for office or membership on the various committees.
Article VI. MEETINGS
1. A regular general membership meeting shall be held in the spring prior to the annual election of officers. Announcement of the meeting should be sent to members at least 2 weeks prior to the meeting. At the spring meeting, Committee "N" shall announce its nominations for the year ahead.
2. A special meeting may be called by the President, at the request of three (3) members of the Executive Committee, or upon receipt of a petition signed by ten (10) members of the Chapter. Announcement of a special meeting should be sent to members no less than one week prior to the meeting date. Twenty (20) members shall constitute a quorum at meetings of the Chapter. The agenda of meetings shall be outlined in the call for the meeting. Any actions shall be by majority vote of the members present or by mail ballot if moved by a simple majority vote of the members attending.
Article VII, AMENDMENTS
b.In the alternative, (if the method is approved by the Chapter leadership) these by- laws may be amended by a simple majority of those members voting by secure electronic voting.
Date ratified: November 6, 2013
“ AAUP-BHSNJ is the professional Bargaining Representative for more than 1,400 faculty members and librarians of the BHSNJ.
As of July 1, 2013, based on the integration of SOM with Rowan University and the integration of the remaining units of the former UMDNJ with Rutgers University (as per the New
Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act as of 2012) AAUP-UMDNJ became AAUP-BHSNJ.
Faculty and Librarians of the former UMDNJ at both Rutgers and Rowan (and those hired into units of the former UMDNJ) are now part of the Biomedical and Health Sciences of New Jersey American Association of University Professors unit, AAUP-BHSNJ.