Increases to Base Pay
For the 2018-2022 contract we successfully bargained for the following pay increases:
- 3% July 1, 2018 (paid retroactively to those faculty present)
- 3% July 1, 2019 (paid retroactively to those faculty present)
- 3% July 31, 2021 (merit)
- 2.5% July 31, 2022 (merit)
We were able to achieve these increases while avoiding furlough days for any members and while simultaneously resisting Rutgers proposals to cut your salary. One of such proposals allowed for a 10-12% percent reduction for those with "needs improvement" on any part of their annual evaluation or in the ill-defined area of “professionalism.”
Maintaining Competitive Clinical Compensation
For the past few decades, the UPA faculty practice has determined how NJMS faculty are compensated concerning the clinical revenue portion of their salary. Further, it has funded numerous research and academic programs at NJMS. And while the UPA model was not perfect, it has also ensured that many faculty are competitively compensated relative to their peers. On July 1, 2020, the UPA become a subsidiary of the RWJBH (Barnabas Health System). The final agreement between Rutgers and UPA known as the “Principle Points” before this acquisition gave the union a role in negotiating clinical compensation for revenue collected after July 1, 2020.
We were able to secure most of the existing collections-based system. It includes variable monthly pay (Fully Variable Supplement - FVS):
The following will be deducted prior to distributing the actual variable pay (FVS) on a monthly basis:
- 10% NJMS Dean’s Fund
- 7% NJMS Department
- 3% Professional Liability Coverage
- 6.5% (or actual cost) NJMS collections, revenue cycle, admin functions (MSO)
- 8.5% Billing Services Provider (currently Change Health
In addition to these Mandatory Taxes, there is a department tax over and above the itemized taxes:
- Voluntary divisional, group, inter-departmental program, practice and other taxes will continue in the same manner as of May 1, 2020.
- These additional deductions are subject to change, as determined by a 60% majority vote of eligible faculty in the pool or department, subject to approval by the Dean.
A Voice for Faculty in the RWJBH/Rutgers AlignmentWe are advocating for you in Trenton, at the bargaining table and in meetings with the Chancellor. We are fighting to:
- To stop Professional Practice track faculty being moved to RWJBH, where they will not receive union representation or the full rights and benefits of being a faculty member.
- Prevent faculty from being assigned to RWJBH institutions at the last minute and have to travel a considerable distance to do so.
- Maintain a voice in how the RWJBH practice is run and to maintain control over aspects where faculty currently occupy control.
- Ensure that University Hospital’s historic mission is protected.
Establishment of a Pay Equity Program
We have long advocated for the closing arbitrary pay gaps. We have now been able to win agreement to establish a program to address these discrepancies. Starting July 1, 2021, faculty who believe they are not fairly paid can put in for an equity salary request, and also have the right grieve the determination if it is still not adjusted. We are working closely with the AAUP-AFT, the legacy faculty union to perfect this process at the University.
Preserving Research Incentives
In the new union contract, faculty receive an Extramural Support Incentive Award based on their rFTE adjusted salary on awards as follows:
|Percentage of rFTE Adjusted salary supported||Percentage Returned to Faculty|
While an incentive system based on your rFTE component raises some serious concerns, in this contract we have decided to give the administration a chance to prove they will not abuse or take advantage of this by arbitrarily setting minimum expectations for your effort or fail to credit you with increases to your workload. Our contract also includes new lump sum incentives for certain faculty with R01s and/or training grants.
New Health Insurance PPO that Saves You Money
Our union, as part of the Coalition of Rutgers Unions, negotiated lower health care costs for members who choose to switch into the NJ Direct/NJ Direct 2019 plan. Most of you are currently enrolled in the Horizon Direct 15 PPO or the Horizon HMO plans. The new NJ Direct/NJ Direct 2019 is based on the design of the Direct 15 plan, but with some changes in co-pays and deductibles that allow for premium savings
Continuing Efforts on Your Behalf
NJMS Dean Robert Johnson is looking to double-tax clinical faculty from July 1, 2021 to June 30th, 2022. That means rather than a 6.5% tax to fund administrative functions, you will pay a 13% tax. We must stop this.
Put a Halt to Rutgers Union Busting
We are fighting to stop Professional Practice faculty from being hired directly by RWJBH (Barnabas), where they will not receive union representation or the full rights and benefits of being a faculty member. There should not be any second-class status for our faculty.
Job Security for both Tenured and Non-Tenure Track Faculty
Unfortunately, we have represented a number of NTT faculty members which have had their reappointments non-renewed for arbitrary or retaliatory reasons. Renewal of appointments should be based on job performance and nothing else. Currently, AAUP-BHSNJ tenured faculty are subject to less rigorous dismissal procedures than other Rutgers tenured faculty. This should be corrected.